Biscombe

 

 William Biscombe, or Biscombes as they were commonly known, was one of the major players in the mineral water trade in the Plymouth area, operating from the mid 1850s until 1953. The company was started at a time when there were only around  4 other companies producing ginger beer in Plymouth and was obviously built on a sound basis! Throughout this period the company operated from premises in Green St, Plymouth which were finally demolished during post-war redevelopment of the city centre.

 

 Unsurprisingly, they have left a vast array of bottles bearing their name, and in many cases, distinctive shield shaped trade mark. The following plates give a representative cross section of the types likely to be encountered. Amongst the codd bottles, examples of the Niagara and Beavis patents are found occasionally.

 

biscfact

 

The Green St premises of W.Biscombe

 

 

bisc shield gb4

 

Various ginger beers used by W. Biscombe

 

 

bisc cham gb2

 

Champagne shape Biscombe ginger beers

 

 

bisc2

Codd and flat based Hamilton bottles used by Biscombes

 

bisc codd det

 

bisc early torp

Earlier Hamilton bottle embossed Biscombe / Plymouth

 

 

bisc 6 new

A 6oz Hamilton bottle used by Biscombes

 

 

DSCF0065

 

Various glass bottles used by Biscombes

 

 

DSCF0066

 

Various glass bottles used by Biscombes

 

 

bisc5

 

A fake bottle made in USA in 1970s, beware!

 

 

wb1

 

 

wb2

 

 

bisniag

10oz Niagara patent codd bottle from Biscombes

 

HOME